Department of Aviation Divisions:
- The Director's Office provides timely information to the Governor, the Secretary of Transportation, the Virginia Aviation Board and the citizens of Virginia relating to the Commonwealth’s air transportation system, air carrier air service and all aspects of aviation policy. The Director’s office is also responsible for human resources, licensing and the enforcement of aviation laws for the Commonwealth. The Director and his/her staff evaluate commercial airline service patterns, service levels, and demand data in coordination with airport sponsors and local jurisdictions in an effort to enhance domestic and international air service; monitor the impact of federal regulatory activity on Virginia's airports and aviation system; and serve as the legislative liaison for the Department. The Director’s Office administers the compliance and security programs for proper licensing of aircraft and airports, as well as assisting airports and the TSA to better secure the air transportation system in the Commonwealth.
- Airport Services Division
- The Airport Services Division provides airport sponsors and managers with technical assistance on a wide range of projects and issues, including the planning, design, construction and maintenance of airport facilities. The division manages funding programs for capital improvements, facilities and equipment, airport maintenance projects, and airport security; the General Aviation Voluntary Security Certification Program; the licensing program for public-use airports; and the registration program for private-use airports. This division conducts statewide aviation system planning and maintains the Virginia Air Transportation System Plan.
- Communications and Education Division
- The Communications and Education Division is responsible for promoting Virginia's airports, marketing aviation and projecting a positive image of the Department and the air transportation system throughout the Commonwealth. Financial and technical assistance is also provided to Virginia's airports to help support their public relations, advertising and marketing programs.
- The Division develops market plans to increase aviation interests, writes press releases, produces publications and promotes aviation and Virginia's aviation programs through educational and aviation awareness programs, speaking engagements, briefing documents and trade shows.
- Flight Operations and Safety Division
- The Flight Operations and Safety Division is responsible for implementing a continuous safety program to include monitoring and reporting aviation related accidents to the Virginia Aviation Board.
- Administers, maintains and schedules state-owned aircraft to provide safe, secure and cost-effective transportation for emergency services, economic development prospects, and the Administration for the conduct of its business.
- Finance and Administration Division
- The Finance and Administration Division is responsible for providing financial and administrative support to the Department. Includes development and execution of the Department's budget; maintenance of official accounting records; procurement of and contracting for goods and services; and coordination of communication and information technology.